Rock the Look: Monochrome

From left to right: Diane von Furstenberg, Ralph Lauren, Maison Martin Margiela, Michael Kors, Jason Wu
Photo credit: Style.com

I am a minimalist. I get excited over clean lines and simple silhouettes. Less is more in my humble opinion. The one thing that gets me really excited though is monochromatic palettes. Long before Jay-Z coined the phrase "all black everything", I was wearing skinny, black pants with black tops and pumps to school. I've been experimenting with color over the past year, but at my core, I'm all about black white and maybe a few shades of gray. Spring 2013 is clearly my season as black and white dominated so many runways. The trend is now beginning to hit the high street as winter stocks are being pushed out. I personally won't be buying much of anything since I already own enough black for several people, but I have been eyeing a few striped and checkered skirts.

There is nothing difficult about wearing black and white, but with so many options available I put together a couple looks to provide some inspiration for the trend.

Helmut Lang leather leggings, Diane von Furstenberg silk top, Alexander Wang booties, Oryany Handbag, Isharya earrings
As a nod to Fall 2012 trends, pair a black and white top with leather leggings and oxblood booties for a casual look. 

It is no secret that Diane von Furstenberg is one of my favorite designers. I adore her prints, and her black and whites are no exception. This could easily be paired with a pencil skirt or leather shorts for a great day-to-night look. Zara and H&M carry great looks for less as well.

Marc by Marc Jacobs skirt, Markus Lupfer sequin lip tee, Topshop biker jacket, Christian Louboutin booties, Marc Jacobs bag, Eddie Borgo earrings
Markus Lupfer is quickly becoming one of my favorite quirky designers. I adore the sequin lip and cheeseburger jumpers mainly because they're sequin. I don't think I've ever met sequins that I didn't like. I think this tee gives the skirt a downtown vibe that could easily take this look from day to night. The biker jacket and sky high platform pumps give this look a nice edgy feel. Every girl wants to feel a little bad ass from time to time.

H&M dress, Celine bag, Charlotte Olympia heels, Stella & Dot earrings and bangle
Not only are clothes taking on a minimalist theme, beauty is too. So many designers went for a "muted" made up look, so try a nude lip with this trend. It's going to be hard for me to incorporate more nudes into my beauty regimen, but it's alway fun to try something new. If you're dying for some color, try a bright handbag like the Celine I incorporated into this look. 

Hopefully, one or all of these looks has you inspired to try a little monochrome this season. How will you rock the look? 

Stay fab! xx 


No comments:

Post a Comment